Tuesday August 9th, 2016

The Red Sox have canceled a previously scheduled David Ortiz bobblehead giveaway after the team found the figurines to be “unacceptable” and “not appropriate for distribution.”

The bobbleheads were supposed to be distributed before Tuesday night’s game. 

The dolls depicted Ortiz’s emotional, spontaneously profane speech given at Fenway after the Boston Marathon bombing. 

Red Sox president Sam Kennedy told MassLive.com that the figurine’s “offensive facial features” were “racially insensitive.” He said it was “an inaccurate portrayal of David.”

Fans attending Tuesday’s game will be given cards with instructions on how to receive an Ortiz bobblehead when a revised version is available. 

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.