Belfort backs out of Affliction 2
"Vitor is out, I spoke with him I think yesterday and he told me," said Atencio. "Actually, it was on Tuesday we had a conversation for about an hour or so, and yeah, I guess he broke his hand in two places is what he told me and he had been having two, three and four opinions on it. He finally got the opinion that he wanted, I guess, and they told him to step out for a while."
Belfort was successful in his first bout for Affliction, knocking out
Now, Atencio and the Affliction team will make an effort to find Lindland a new opponent as quickly as possible.
Speculation has run rampant that current Elite XC welterweight champion
"I don't confirm anything until I have all the papers signed," he simply said.
MMAWeekly.com first broke the news on Thursday that Shields was still negotiating on his next fight and that a prominent offer was pending for him to fight at 185 pounds in a different organization.
"Right now I have a really good offer on the table to fight a top 185-pounder," Shields told MMAWeekly.com on Thursday. "I'm just waiting, hoping Elite (XC) will give me that opportunity to go out there and represent Elite and test myself."
According to Atencio, the promotion has great admiration for Shields, but for now he is simply a fighter under contract to a different organization.
"Jake's a great fighter, but nonetheless it doesn't matter because we don't have him," Atencio commented. "That's a fighter that Pro Elite has."
With Lindland vs. Belfort now off the table, Atencio did dispel the rumors that the fight between the two middleweights would have been for a middleweight championship.
"At this point I don't think so," Atencio said. "It just didn't make too much sense. We may go down that road again in the near future when we do have them fight. I know that's a fight both of them want. Well, I know Vitor wants it and Matt (Lindland) will fight anyone."
Atencio commented in the interview with MMAWeekly Radio that he would like to have the next Affliction fight card finalized by the end of next week, while also confirming that former International Fight League fighters,