Ortiz signs on for UFC 106 bout
Tito Ortiz on Monday confirmed his upcoming bout with Mark Coleman at UFC 106 in Las Vegas. The two are expected to meet in a light heavyweight bout supporting the Nov. 21 main event between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and challenger Shane Carwin.
Ortiz confirmed the bout in a YouTube video posted on Monday, showing him signing the contract and faxing it in to the UFC offices.
When the two meet in the Octagon, it will have been a year and a half since Ortiz last fought. His most recent action was a loss to current UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 in May of 2008. Since then, he has had back surgery, which he says is fully healed and put him back at 100-percent healthy for the first time in years.
"You guys don't know how excited I am for this fight to happen. It's my comeback fight and it's Mark Coleman, former heavyweight world champion," said Ortiz in the video.
"I think Mark Coleman's had a little hatred for me for a while. Now he gets the chance."
While Ortiz was away from the promotion, largely due to a feud with UFC president Dana White, Coleman made his return. Having fought in the early years of the UFC, including claiming the heavyweight title, Coleman left in 1999, but returned earlier this year at UFC 93. He lost there to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, but established his comeback with a victory over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100.