Campus Quick Slants
I find it ironic that while every college basketball season ends with the playing of
In transitioning from college football to basketball, you'll notice that the tune has changed from one of parity throughout the game to one of dominance by some of the country's most historic programs. And with no BCS to worry about, this season is already feeling more
So, with that said, let me offer a sneak peak at a few songs featured on this college basketball season's soundtrack...
While the Blue Devils will challenge for the ACC title against in-state rival North Carolina, the fact remains that they had an enormous size disadvantage even before
Tell the average fan that
Whatever doesn't kill you can only make you stronger; and as both
For the record, I still have no idea what this song is supposed to mean. And I'll be the first to admit that it's not the most creative option here. But it's quite fitting -- you just can't overemphasize what freshman
As is the case with most elite teams, and especially those in the ACC, it is imperative that a squad remain focused -- and the Tar Heels have the talent to go unbeaten if they can do just that. Should Carolina finish with a perfect regular season, there's no doubt that
There's a soon-to-be-released
The thing that gets me about Knight's histrionics is how he constantly adds elements of difficulty to better his previous performances, kind of the way an ice skater spins off a toe loop before attempting a quadruple axel. It was the same deal in the glorious days of
My theory is that Knight is such a competitive person that he's trying to better himself in every possible way. He's at the point now in his accomplished career where he's literally inventing new games for himself to win, and I'm guessing that was his thinking when he brought his 21-month old grandson to the stage with him after his 899th career victory. Sure, he's had run-ins with the media before ... but throw a kid into the mix and that's gotta be like, what, at least three times the bonus points?
Welcome back to the Quick Slants Trivia Game, where you can correctly answer a reasonably challenging question for little or no reward. Today's test involves NCAA Tournament winning percentages...
Which Division I college basketball program has the lowest tournament winning percentage of teams that have won AT LEAST one tournament game? Answer in a bit ...
Congratulations to the LSU Tigers for their second championship in the BCS era of college football. Here are 10 random thoughts after watching Monday's game:
1. Had Monday night's BCS Title been shown on ESPN, it would've easily been the game of the century, complete with weeks of build-up, a catchy slogan, and a 120-hour countdown clock to keep you on edge. Instead, Monday's game was as forgettable beforehand as afterwards, and I needed to be re-reminded that it was even taking place. And yes, I've covered college football all season.
2. What was the Vegas money line on "
3. The standard issue "we played a bad game" excuse that Ohio State fans have sent me in defense of the Buckeye loss to Florida last season has now expired. Thank you.
5. Five years ago, the only love
6. For the love of God, please find a smaller helmet for that nerdy kicker in the Allstate commercials.
7. If you still believe the Big Ten is as competitive a conference as the SEC, you should seek psychiatric counsel.
8. Photographers must've realized early in
9. In order to keep a straight face during that
10. This would've been the perfect year for a playoff.
Let's give a big round of applause to Ohio State president
Thankfully, Mr. Gee was on hand in New Orleans to provide
Riiight, and the Russians loved Chernobyl because it raised nuclear energy awareness ...
Riddle me this, Mr. President: If it's not just about winning and losing, why are academic standards so lenient for athletes?
1. Better video game?
2. More endearing basketball name?
3. More useful invention?
4. More likely to run the table? North Carolina /
5. Bigger sports pet peeve?
6. More anonymous unbeaten? Vanderbilt /
7. Better dance move?
8. Bigger basketball sleeper?
9. Bolder movie athlete? Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez (
10. Better postseason setup?
I'd love to get behind the new
The lowest NCAA Tournament winning percentage of any team that has won at least one tournament game belongs to Murray State (.071), which has posted a lackluster 1-13 mark during March Madness. Still looking for a stumper? What well-known coach did the Racers upset for their lone win? Hmmm ...