Name: Emily EriksonSchool: The University of OklahomaBirth Date: November 15, 1987Hometown: Kingwood, TexasYear: SophomoreMajor: Marketing
1. I love OU, but I almost went to: I applied to 10 schools, but I ultimately wanted to go wherever I could continue my cheerleading career in college. Cheerleading is, has been, and always will be a passion of mine, so it was really important for me to achieve my dream of being a college cheerleader. I decided I wanted to stay in Texas or close to Texas. So I tried out for cheerleading at OU and Texas Tech. Both are great schools, and have great cheerleading and football programs. But I decided to go to OU with my two best friends.
2. My favorite class is: My favorite subject is math. In college so far, my favorite class has been Macro Economics. I really understood the concepts and worked hard to get an A in the class. Understanding the concepts and mastering this class was very satisfying to me. I feel that economics is not just an important concept for my major, but also for everyday life.
3. Movies I can't live without:Gone with the Wind
4. Music I can't live without: I can't live without music altogether. I am constantly listening to music because it inspires me, gets me going, allows me to dance, and represents memories in my life. I really like all kinds of music. My favorite kind of music is Texas country. My least favorite is rock.
5. TV shows I can't live without: I don't watch much TV because I am really busy. I live in my sorority house and I find myself quite busy with cheerleading practice, cheering at football and basketball games, making cheerleading appearances, going to class, doing school work, doing things with my sorority and still making time to go out with friends.
6. What's the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you during a game: A few things that most people may call "embarrassing," have happened to me during football games. I don't get embarrassed by them; I just call them a part of cheerleading. For example, I was doing a tumbling pass in the end zone after a touchdown, and I don't think our new mascot could see where he was going because he ran right into me in the middle of my full twist. I was knocked to the ground on my head. I think just about half of the stadium saw and gasped. I was ok though, so I just got up and kept cheering.
7. My favorite sport is: Football and Golf. I believe cheerleading is a sport when we compete. I also believe during football games we use endurance, strength, and talent just like any other sport, but it's not about us at that time. It is more about our job. The main goal of our job is to lead cheers for the whole stadium to get involved, to ultimately get the team motivated to play their best. Our job is important, and without us and the band, college football would not be the same.
8. My favorite professional sports teams are: Houston Texans, Houston Astros, Houston Rockets and Dallas Cowboys.
9. My one Guilty Pleasure is: Pleasure is a great thing that represents happiness and we shouldn't feel guilty about filling our lives with happiness. Some things that bring joy to my life include swimming in the ocean, meeting new people, learning new things, driving to Texas, loving my friends and family, going to church, traveling to new places and visiting old ones, accomplishing goals, dancing, going out at night, eating cheese and having conversations about life. My two greatest pleasures are laughing and being out there on our football field leading cheers for 85,000 people.
10. My best physical feature: In cheerleading I feel that our physical appearance is a big part of representing ourselves and our college. We need to be in shape and presentable since we are constantly in the public eye and are in front of 85,000 fans leading cheers. What people don't understand about cheerleaders is that our physical appearance is not the only thing that cheerleading is about. When we tryout, yes, the way we present ourselves and our appearance is important and is the coach's first impression of us. But cheerleading involves athletic ability, endurance, confidence, pride, passion, heart, and most of all, spirit.
11. Strange and unusual fact about me: I have full conversations in my sleep.
12. My friends would be surprised to know that I: Nothing I do would surprise my friends.
13. Favorite Foods: CHEESE
14. Five People I'd Like To Have Dinner With (Living or Dead): God, George Straight, Frank Sinatra, someone who could entertain me and make me laugh like Jim Carey, Dane Cook, or Lucille Ball. I also wish I could snap my fingers and be able to eat with any one of my family members or best friends from home anywhere, anytime.
15. Three People who annoy me: Tyra Banks. The other two are things which include cockroaches and when OU football loses.
16. Next Risk I Want To Take: I love to take risks that would make my life more interesting and unpredictable. I believe we should live life the best we can, experience every opportunity given to us, and accept the fact that some things we just can't change. That is why I really appreciate life for all the good and all the bad, because I feel that everything in life happens for a reason.
17. If your life had a theme song, what would it be: My life has been a true blessing and I can't think of just one song to explain the incredible journey. But since I have been in college, Southbound 35 by Pat Green would have to be the song. It's about traveling back Texas.
18. Every woman should have: Best friends and confidence.
19. If I won the lottery, the first thing I'd buy is: I would repay my parents for everything they have done for me.
20. Describe the worst date you ever went on: I have fun on every date. If the date doesn't start out fun, then I'll make it fun.
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.