Postcard from camp: Bengals
I'm in Georgetown, Ky., on the campus of Georgetown College, about 70 miles south of Cincinnati, a few miles north of the University of Kentucky. Funny, by the way, to see how the locals are covering the sordid
1. The Bengals have gone from being short at the skill positions to being fat and pretty happy. They were tight end-less last year, in effect, beset by injuries, and now they've added
3. The Bengals obviously have gone to the
I'll write more about
Third-round pick Jordan Shipley all of a sudden is in a tough spot because of the addition of Owens, but expect offensive coordinator
On the first snap of 11-on-11 drills, Pacman Jones lined up across from
Because I spent my lunch hour talking to Palmer and Lewis at length, I missed any semblance of what you might call a real lunch. So this served as my Bengals training camp meal: Two bottles of Gatorade G2 fierce grape (I believe 16 oz.) and a slightly green banana. Surprisingly, perhaps because I was famished, both were delicious.
1. The circus was in town this morning, but the ringmaster wasn't. T.O. missed a plane from Florida to Cincinnati, so he didn't arrive in the Queen City until the early afternoon. As one member of the Bengal hierarchy told me, "He will have to sign his contract first, then talk to his agent [
2. I've heard there was some division in the Cincinnati brain trust about bringing in Owens. I've known Lewis for quite awhile and I spent 70 minutes with him today, and I got no sense of that whatsoever. My belief is the Bengals think they got Owens for the right price ($2 million in salary and $2 million in incentives, which will only be earned if T.O. has a good year).
3. As for what the addition of T.O. means to the WR depth chart, we all know he is going to cut into Bryant's playing time. Bryant, who signed a four-year, $28 million contract in March, will be practicing once a day to try to protect a knee he is still rehabbing. Bryant is saying all the right things, but what must he think when the Bengals drafted Shipley in the third round and now bring in Owens, who is determined to start alongside Ochocino.
4. Lewis is not happy with
5. Expect linebacker movement on defense. Second-year man