At the relocated Colts camp in Anderson, Ind. Brings back memories. The
Remember when they traded for
Unfortunately, those '91 Colts responded to the hype by going 1-15. Whoa. The Colts left Anderson University for Terre Haute after
3. Speaking of Sept. 12 at Houston, more than a few Colts have noticed how inflamed the Texans are about the game. "It's like the most important game in the history of their franchise, from what we're hearing out of there,'' said one Colt veteran. "They might be putting a little too much emphasis on it.''
Well, having been there, I can tell you this: The Texans won't feel they're any good -- really any good -- until they can summit Mount Manning.
The Colts are one of those teams that respects and uses the Canadian Football League as a farm system. (
On most campuses where teams train (and there aren't many teams going away to college campuses anymore), security keeps fans from players, so they can go about their meetings, meals and walks to and from dorms without being disturbed. But today,
An unusual lunch, but a good one, inside the Anderson U dining hall: I filled a sun-dried-tomato tortilla (a little dry and inflexible, but OK) with turkey, kernels of corn, lettuce, tomato, pico de gallo and a little white tortilla sauce. Along with cranberry-pomegranate juice, it hit the spot.
2. Speaking of guys who've been hurt a lot, safety
3. Every year I hear the Colts say they need to run it better and WILL run it better -- and then the season starts and they forget about it. So I'll believe it when I see it. The Colts were last in the league in rushing last year -- a paltry 80.9 yards per game, eight yards fewer than any other team -- and have made it a focus of camp to run the ball more often and more efficiently. We'll see.
4. The left tackle spot would worry me if I were a Colts fan.
5. Manning, by the way, tells me he has no hangover from the Super Bowl loss, or his late interception that helped the Saints seal the game. "Not at all,'' he said. "In this business, you move on. It's not a pleasant memory, but you've got to put those things behind you, and I think I have.''