Chiefs are a work in progress, but 8-8 isn't out of the question
• Don't get too excited about the Chiefs. I still think they're a work in progress. Look, they won because of a special teams touchdown, a long run from
Don't get me wrong. I think their offense could one day be very explosive. I'm looking forward to seeing how
As for the AFC West, it's still San Diego's division to lose. But Monday gave us a glimpse that they're not runaway favorites. The other three teams are getting closer, even Oakland. A key for the Chargers' hopes is rookie running back
They definitely miss
• Repeat after me:
One positive for the Jets is
• We already have quarterback controversies. My eye is on two places in particular: Carolina and Philadelphia. I was critical of the Panthers in my
Kevin Kolb definitely has a longer leash. Because of Andy Reid's decision to let
• I was wrong about the Steelers, and
The Steelers still won playing Steeler football. They're going to win with great defensive effort, and they're going to win with a solid running game, especially without
• Don't overreact to the Bengals' loss to the Patriots. We saw plenty of surprising results and performances in the first week, but that's just it. It's one week. Just one loss. Cincinnati fell down pretty quick and turned the ball over a couple times, but I don't think people should throw them away and say this is the same old Cincinnati Bengals football team. They'll settle in and be better than they showed Sunday.
The Patriots opened up a 21-point lead at the half and won comfortably. The
A few more quick thoughts ...
• It wasn't surprising at all to see the Jaguars fill their stadium for the first time since 2007 because of an opposing player.
• I'm calling out the policy -- and sticking up for referees -- after
• NFL players made a very important statement before several games with a show of solidarity as we head toward a possible lockout. Historically, the owners have always banked on the fact that the players would not be united if a lockout occurred. Some would get scared and cross the picket line, so to say, during a strike. It's still very early in the process, but everybody should know now that the players are very committed to what's at stake. They're geared up for a fight, if it comes to that.
• Take a second to applaud