Last week, SI.com reported that several coaches and athletic administrators were scammed out of millions by the late Houston-area money manager and AAU operator David Salinas. After reviewing documents, and in conjunction with a forthcoming story in this week's Sports Illustrated, SI.com can add more names to the list.
The dollar figure following each name is the most recent valuation of their particular at-risk investment, which was purported to be in corporate bonds.
Two NBA players, 2010 Warriors lottery pick Ekpe Udoh ($350,000) and former Wizards swingman Cartier Martin ($374,000), were confirmed to be clients by SI. So was one former athletic director and NCAA selection committee member, Rudy Davalos ($83,000). The investment of 13 college basketball coaches alone, meanwhile, is valued at nearly $8 million. The total amount of money in the bonds, whose very existence remains in doubt, is an estimated $55 million, none of which has been recovered.
Besides what is listed below, SI has also learned Salinas has numerous other sports-related clients -- college basketball coaches included -- whose names are not yet public, and whose money is not believed to be at risk in this particular case.
1. Billy Gillispie -- current Texas Tech (and former Texas A&M and Kentucky) head basketball coach: $2.3 million
2. Ray Giacoletti -- current Gonzaga assistant basketball coach (and former North Dakota State, Eastern Washington and Utah head coach): $1.2 million
3. Lute Olson -- former Arizona head basketball coach: $1.17 million
4. Art Briles -- Baylor head football coach: $780,000
5. Willis Wilson -- current Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (and former Rice) head basketball coach: $642,000
6. Scott Drew -- current Baylor (and former Valparaiso) head basketball coach: $621,000
7. Grey Giovanine -- current Augustana head basketball coach (and former Rice assistant): $533,000
8. Cartier Martin -- former Washington Wizards guard (and former Houston Select and Kansas State player): $374,000
9. Mark Few -- current Gonzaga head basketball coach: $353,000
10. Ekpe Udoh -- current Golden State Warriors forward (and former Baylor player): $350,000
11. Martin Fox -- adidas "Grass Roots Director of Houston" and Houston Select staffer: $249,000
12. Tim Jankovich -- current Illinois State head basketball coach: $184,000
13. Jason Skaer -- pastor and former Oklahoma State and Rice forward: $129,500
14. Rudy Davalos -- former University of New Mexico athletic director, NCAA tournament selection committee member, San Antonio Spurs assistant and University of the South head basketball coach: $83,000
15. Scott Thompson -- former Rice, Wichita State and Cornell head basketball coach: $65,000
16. Doc Sadler -- current Nebraska (and former UTEP) head basketball coach: $38,000
17. Mike Chismar -- Arizona State associate athletics director: $30,000
18. James Elgas -- current Evansville (and former Kansas State) assistant head basketball coach: $24,000
19. Danny Nee -- United States Merchant Marine Academy (and former Nebraska) head coach: $23,000
20. Steve Lutz -- current Creighton (and former SMU) assistant basketball coach: $9,000
21. Bill Yeoman -- former Houston head football coach: T.B.D.