Orlando Ortega (left) "abandoned" the Cuban delegation at the world championships in Russia.
Olivier Morin/AFP/Getty Images

HAVANA (AP) -- The Cuban track and field federation says hurdler Orlando Ortega has not returned to the country after competing in the world championships in Russia last week.

The federation said in a statement Wednesday that Ortega "abandoned'' the Cuban delegation that competed in Moscow.

The 22-year-old Ortega did not make it past the first qualifying race in the 110 hurdles in Russia, finishing sixth in his heat with a time of 13.69 seconds.

Considered one of Cuba's best hurdlers since Dayron Robles, Ortega was sixth at the 2012 London Olympics and had the third-best time of the season heading into Moscow.

Ortega ran in the worlds after the Cuban federation dismissed a six-month discipline ban handed to him for refusing to compete in an event in Moscow in June.

Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.