Earlier this week, Monroe denied a New York Daily News report saying he is close to a deal with the Knicks.
"My agent hasn't discussed anything with anyone,” Monroe said to the Detroit Free Press. "This same stuff happened this summer when stuff was coming out. These sources keep on popping up. Whoever they are I'd like to meet them."
The league’s free agent period starts July 1 and any negotiations between a player and team before then could constitute a violation of tampering rules.
Monroe's agent, David Falk, said that Monroe has not made up his mind about which team he would like to play for.
“We are well aware the Knicks have cap space and we will sit down with them at the appropriate time,” Falk told the New York Post. “Now is not the appropriate time.”
Falk called reports of Monroe signing with the Knicks, “factually incorrect and completely unsubstantiated.”
Monroe did not sign a long-term deal last offseason with the Detroit, instead signing a one-year qualifying offer, worth $5.5 million so he could be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Monroe, 24, has spent each of his five NBA seasons with the Pistons, who will miss the playoffs for the sixth straight year. He is averaging 16 points and a career-high 10.3 rebounds per game this season.
- Scooby Axson