San Diego stadium committee to meet with Chargers
The Chargers have gone through several stadium proposals over the last decade, but each has been unsuccessful. The team has played in Qualcomm Stadium since 1967.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer's nine-person committee will meet with the Chargers' Mark Fabiani, who is in charge of the team's stadium search, on Tuesday.
The committee is “looking forward to a robust discussion with the Chargers about their finances and their deal points,” said committee spokesman Tony Manolatos. “The Chargers are obviously a very important piece of this puzzle.”
Los Angeles has been mentioned repeatedly during the last year as a possible landing spot for an NFL team. Last week, Los Angeles County election officials made progress towards having citizens vote on a proposed 80,000-seat stadium as soon as mid-June. The NFL has formed a committee to make sure teams follow the league's protocol before relocating.
Faulconer recently acknowledged that San Diego could lose the Chargers to Los Angeles if it doesn't get a new stadium built.
“At no point in San Diego’s history has the possibility of the Chargers moving to Los Angeles been more real,” Faulconer said in his recent state of the city address.
- Paul Palladino