NFL rumors: Latest news, buzz around free agency, trades, training camp
The NFL draft is long gone and free agency is winding down, but despite a lull in organized team activities, the NFL rumor mill is still buzzing with teams reporting to training camp.
Team camps open up this week, so player movement between teams will continue. Teams expected to contend once again will see if their strengths have carried over from last season, while those looking to turn around losing efforts will get a chance to see what they have.
What’s the latest? Check back often as we update below with all the latest scoops, including transactions, news and rumors.
• Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson will end contract talks with the team if he doesn't receive a long-term contract extension by Friday, reports ESPN.com. Wilson is entering the final season of his rookie contract.
• Quarterback Josh Freeman, who was released last week, has re-signed with the Miami Dolphins, according to the Palm Beach Post. Freeman hasn't appeared in an NFL game since the 2013 season.
• Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro running back Le'Veon Bell was a full participant for the start of the team's training camp on Monday. Bell hyperextended his knee in the team’s season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals and missed the Steelers’ AFC wild-card loss to the Baltimore Ravens. He will miss the first three games of the 2015 season after being suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.
• Though veteran Josh McCown is expected to start at quarterback for the Browns, head coach Mike Pettine did not rule out the possibility that Johnny Manziel could earn the starting job. “I wouldn't say I'm guaranteeing today that Josh McCown is going to be the starter against the Jets,” Pettine said, according to ESPN.com. “A lot can happen in preseason.”
• Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton is seeking a new contract on par with the $14 million average annual value given to DeMaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant last week, Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole reports.
• Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy is likely to sign a contract extension during training camp, NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport reports.
• Free-agent pass rusher Osi Umenyiora is expected to retire, Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reports. Umenyiora spent the last two seasons with the Falcons but has expressed interest in signing a one-day contract to retire as a Giant, Schwartz adds.
• Former Dolphins and 49ers offensive lineman Jonathan Martin is retiring due to a back injury, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Martin famously accused then-Dolphins teammate Richie Incognito of bullying him in 2013.
• Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has until this week to agree to a contract extension, reportedly offering him $21 million per season. NFL.com reports that Wilson hasn't turned down a deal outright.
• The Minnesota Vikings signed kicker Blair Walsh to a four-year extension worth up to $14 million. Walsh will receive $5.25 million in guarantees. The team also placed linebacker Casey Matthews on injured reserve and defensive back Josh Robinson on the physically unable to perform list.