Tuesday March 1st, 2016

The Buffalo Bills have informed defensive tackle Mario Williams that he will be released, the team announced.

The move was first reported by ESPN’s Josina Anderson.

Buffalo will free nearly $13 million in cap space. The 11-year veteran had two years remaining on the six-year, $96 million deal he signed in 2012.

“We want to thank Boobie, Kraig and Mario for everything they did during their years with our franchise,” general manager Doug Whaley said in a statement, “Each of them contributed to our team in a unique way. Days like this are never easy and this is a part of the business that is difficult on everyone. We will now focus our attention on moving forward as we continue to prepare for free agency, the upcoming Draft and the 2016 season.”

Last week, Williams said that he’d be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Bills.

“Yeah, I mean, it all depends on what it is happening,” Williams told ESPN. “My thing is this...obviously I’ve had big contracts, but once you get on a team and you get around the guys, it becomes family. The guys on defense, we laugh and talk about anything. We do a bunch of stuff together on and off the field, obviously. It’s bigger than just numbers. But at the same time, as far what you said about it being feasible, a (cap) crunch is a crunch.”

Report: Patriots, QB Tom Brady reach two-year contract extension

Williams played in 15 games last season and totaled 15 tackles and five sacks. Over his career with the Texans and Bills, he’s tallied 96 sacks.

– Kenny Ducey

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.