NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
OTAs are nearly here for NFL teams around the league and most of the rosters are set. However, there are some notable free agents still left on the market and plenty of buzz surrounding where they could sign.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Ryan Fitzpatrick told Sirius XM that he will play football this season. Fitzpatrick and the New York Jets have yet to agree to a contract, although Fitzpatrick said he wants to play for the Jets again.
• The Cincinnati Bengals will work out linebacker Dwight Freeney, reports ESPN. In only 11 games last year, Freeney recorded eight sacks for the Arizona Cardinals.
• Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins underwent foot surgery earlier this off-season, and the Bills don’t have a return date set for him. However, The Buffalo News reports the team doesn’t expect Watkins to miss any games.
• Drew Brees doesn’t have a new contract yet, but he won’t be holding out. The New Orleans Saints quarterback told ESPN that he’ll participate in OTAs this off-season.
• Former NFL players are leading the charge to build a new stadium for the Raiders in Oakland, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Ronnie Lott and and Rodney Peete are among the investors hoping to build a new stadium where the Coliseum is currently located.
• Arizona Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu told ESPN that he wants to be “paid as a top defender.” The Cardinals are working on an extension for Mathieu, who plays both corner and safety.
• The Cleveland Browns have cut yet another veteran. The team has released wide receiver Brian Hartline, reports Pro Football Talk.
• The Denver Broncos won’t have quarterback Mark Sanchez for the start of OTAs, reports the team’s website. Sanchez is recovering from thumb surgery on his left hand. His absence will allow for more reps from first-round pick Paxton Lynch.