By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
OTAs are underway for teams around the NFL, and the off-season has reached a bit of a lull. However, there are still a few notable names available on the free-agent market.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Denver Broncos wide receiver Cody Latimer was the victim of domestic violence Monday, reports Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver. Latimer’s girlfriend “put her hands on him,” although Latimer did bail her out of jail after the police arrested her. Latimer was also arrested for failing to pay a year-old traffic ticket, which he has since paid.
• The Los Angeles Rams’ selection of quarterback Jared Goff has upset quarterback Nick Foles. The former Rams starter has skipped all team-related activities since Los Angeles took Goff, reports ESPN.
• Defensive tackle Maliek Collins, the Dallas Cowboys’ third round pick this year, sustained a broken foot at OTAs. The team’s website says he’ll miss 10–12 weeks, meaning he’ll be back near the end of training camp.
• The Detroit Lions lost tight end Tim Wright to a season-ending ACL injury, but have added a rookie to replace him on the active roster. The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions signed former Central Michigan tight end Ben McCord.
• Defensive end Stephen Bowen has retired after 10 years in the NFL, according to ESPN. Bowen played his first five years with the Cowboys, then four with the Washington Redskins and his final one with the New York Jets.
• With Devin Hester recovering from off-season surgery, the Atlanta Falcons are looking at other players to help in the return game. Head coach Dan Quinn told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Tevin Coleman is getting work on kick returns.
• Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt told the Houston Chronicle he could return to practice soon. Watt is recovering from off-season groin surgery.
• Former New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith had a blood alcohol level three times the legal limit when he was shot and killed in April, reports NOLA.com.