With less than a month left in the NHL’s regular season, the playoff race is starting to heat up. The Washington Capitals currently lead the Eastern Conference with a league-high 103 points, while the Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars are tied for the top seed in the Western Conference with 88 points apiece.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban sustained a neck injury and had to be carried off on a stretcher Thursday against the Buffalo Sabres, but he has movement in all of his extremities, the team announced.
• Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog has been suspended three games for a “high, reckless and irresponsible cross-check” on Anaheim Ducks defenseman Simon Despres, the league announced.
• Patrick Sharp, John Klingberg, and Jamie Benn will all miss both games this weekend for the Dallas Stars with lower-body injuries, reports The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Helka.
• The NHL “has no reason to believe” the Canadiens acted inappropriately by trading defenseman Jarred Tinordi to the Arizona Coyotes, reports the Associated Press. Tinordi was suspended 20 games Thursday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
• Edmonton Oilers defenseman Darnell Nurse has been suspended three games for being the “aggressor” in a fight with San Jose Sharks defenseman Roman Polak, the league announced.
• Calgary Flames forward Sam Bennett is listed as day-to-day with an upper-body injury, reports the Calgary Sun’s Kristen Odland.
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.