The Stanley Cup playoffs are fast approaching with less than two weeks remaining in the regular season, and the postseason field is starting to take shape. The Washington Capitals clinched the Presidents’ Trophy for having the best record in the league with a 4–1 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday night, giving them home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Anaheim Ducks goalie Anton Khudobin is returning to the KHL for the 2016–17 season, reports Russian news outlet Championat.
• Buffalo Sabres forward Evander Kane is listed as day-to-day after sustaining an upper-body injury in the team’s loss to the Red Wings on Monday night, reports The Buffalo News’ John Vogl.
• Though he has resumed skating, Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban has not been cleared by team doctors to play, reports TSN Montreal’s John Lu. Subban hasn’t played since sustaining a neck injury on March 10.
• St. Louis Blues forward Alexander Steen expects to return Tuesday against the Colorado Avalanche, reports ESPN. Steen has missed the last five weeks with an upper-body injury.
• Edmonton Oilers defenseman Eric Gryba (knee) and forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (concussion) both returned to the ice on Monday and hope to return to game action before the end of the season, reports the Edmonton Sun’s Jim Matheson.
• Dallas Stars defenseman Kris Russell will return to the lineup on Tuesday after missing the last three games with a lower-body injury, reports The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika.
• Harvard’s Jimmy Vesey plans to test free agency instead of signing an entry-level contract with the Nashville Predators, reports the Associated Press’s Theresa M. Walker.
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.