New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma left his meeting with the NFL on Monday with nothing resolved and his attorney expects the NFL to rule on his case later this week, but said it could be next week as well, reports the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
Vilma's attorney Peter Ginsburg said that Vilma was 100 percent truthful in the meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell.
ESPN.com is reporting that the NFL gave Vilma a sworn affidavit from former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams showing that Vilma offered $10,000 to any teammate who knocked Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2010 NFC Championship game. That affidavit signed by Williams was dated September 14.
Vilma was initially suspended for the 2012 season for his role in the bounty scandal, but an appeals court reversed that decision. Vilma is on the physically unable to perform list so he will not be eligible to play until next month. Vilma said he had no expectations going into the meeting held at NFL headquarters in New York.
Saints defensive end Will Smith, Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita and free agent Anthony Hargrove, who also had their suspensions overturned, are scheduled to meet with Goodell tomorrow.
The NFL released a statement saying, "We appreciate Jonathan Vilma taking the time to meet today and look forward to seeing the other players tomorrow."
Vilma said he would be guessing on if the case ends up back in court and hoped the meeting was a turning point.
"The accusations against Jonathan are not only erroneous but very, very difficult for Jonathan emotionally and personally,'' Ginsberg said last week. "Our hope is that the commissioner, as he restarts the process, will take a fresh look at the evidence, listen to what Jonathan has to say and allow Jonathan to get back to living his life and playing the game he loves.''
Ginsberg said Monday was the most productive day of the whole Vilma situation. https://twitter.com/LarryHolder/status/247811890133204992