The New York Mets could demote struggling first baseman Ike Davis to Triple A as early as next week, the New York Daily News reported on Thursday. According to the report, sources with "direct knowledge to the Mets' thinking" said the team won't option Davis this weekend but "maybe after the weekend."
The 26-year-old first baseman is hitting .147 with four home runs and nine RBI in 42 games this season and has just a single hit in his last 38 plate appearances. Davis has reportedly lost confidence in himself and a Mets official said Davis isn't possessing the same confidence he had last year when he struggled to recover from an 11-month layoff from baseball. Davis hit 32 home runs and drove in 90 last year for the Mets. The New York Daily News reported people close to Davis saying the first baseman would like to resolve his struggles at the major league level and he "doesn't want to go down."