Report: Ex-Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman overdosed
Former Chargers and Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman overdosed in California Sunday night, according to the Los Angeles Times.
According to the report, Merriman, 29, ingested a combination of alcohol and drugs and was transported to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from The Colony nightclub around 9:30 p.m.
Merriman returned from the NFL in March after being a three-time Pro Bowler in nine seasons. He was suspended four games in 2006 after testing positive for steroids, which he attributed to a faulty dietary supplement.
The 29-year-old Washington D.C. native was active on Twitter hours after being taken to the hospital and denied the reports later Monday morning.
I'm fine guys been working my butt offwith training and launching LightsOut and my MBA, flew in from shooting a film in Canada and was...
— Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) June 10, 2013
Dehydrated. @tmz got me good though this morning lol m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/… — Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) June 10, 2013