Aaron Hernandez hearing pushed back; Bill Belichick addresses media
[Update: 4:20 p.m. EST]
On Wednesday afternoon, District Court Judge Daniel O'Shea granted the prosecution's request for postponement of Aaron Hernandez's probable cause hearing for the murder of Oden Lloyd.
According to the Boston Globe, the case has been postponed until Aug. 22. Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter's office is presenting evidence against Hernandez to a grand jury. A grand jury indictment of Hernandez would negate a probable cause hearing and shift the case against the former Patriots tight end to Superior Court.
[Original: 2:29 p.m. EST]
New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said he is "primarily responsible for the players we bring into the organization" and admitted in that respect that he is not "a good one" in the wake of the ongoing murder case involving the team's former tight end Aaron Hernandez.
Belichick, who said he was out of the country in June when he heard the news regarding Hernandez, held a press conference on Wednesday afternoon to meet with the press for the first time since the 23-year-old tight end was cut by the Patriots within hours of being charged with the alleged murder of a 27-year-old semi-pro football player last month. Belichick's press conference Wednesday was held at the same time that Hernandez appeared in a Attleboro (Mass.) District Court for a probable cause hearing.
Belichick, who said to the media he was "shocked and disappointed" amid hearing the news about Hernandez, kept the press conference brief but he did comment on the recruiting process of players, saying the Patriots organization looks into every facet of an individual's life, from his work ethic to his education and his family, and added that the process is "far from perfect." He also said that he tries "to do what I think is best for the football team" and the entire organization will learn from "this terrible experience and become a better team."
He said that he has been advised to comment once on the situation and then move on, and has told his team not to comment on matters that have ongoing legal proceedings.SI Wire: Report: Aaron Hernandez focus of grand jury probe into 2012 killings