San Antonio Spurs guard Marco Belinelli said he will participate in the three-point contest during All-Star weekend, according to a report from Sportando, which said the Italian player told La Gazzetta dello Sport that it will be "a step forward in my career" to compete in New Orleans in approximately two weeks.
The 27-year-old, who signed with the Spurs during the offseason after a year with the Chicago Bulls, will become the second Italian after Denver Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari to compete during All-Star weekend. Belinelli is currently averaging 10.9 points in 24 minutes per game for the Spurs, shooting 46.7 percent from three.
It's not clear yet who else will participate in the three-point contest, but Lakers guard Kendall Marshall has been excelling in his new role with Los Angeles after being called up from the D-League earlier this season, shooting 47.3 percent from beyond the arc and could be one of the other players named to the contest.
Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving, who is starting for the East in the All-Star game on Sunday night, won the three-point contest last year and has said he wants to defend his title this year, according to Cavs beat writer Jason Lloyd for the Akron Beacon Journal. GOLLIVER: All-Sanctioned Team: Players, coaches and a mascot that drew David Stern’s ire