Report: Yankees' Carlos Beltran takes batting practice, optimistic he will return soon
Yankees outfielder Carlos Beltran took batting practice Friday and said he's "very happy" that his elbow is pain-free. He is optimistic he will return soon, according to a tweet from beat reporter Sweeny Murti for Sportsradio 66 WFAN.
The report comes 15 days after Beltran was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a bone spur in his right elbow. Beltran had tried to play through the injury after an MRI revealed the spur earlier in the month.
The 37-year-old eight-time All-Star is hitting .234 with five home runs in 33 games this season. He signed a three-year, $45 million deal with the Yankees this offseason. The report on Friday all but squashes any idea that he would require surgery, which could have kept him out for months.
The Yankees got some more good news on Friday as first baseman Mark Teixeira is expected back in the lineup. The two-time All-Star had been dealing with soreness in his surgically repaired right wrist, but will hit cleanup at home on Friday against the Twins according to LoHud.com's Yankee blog.
Carlos Beltran took BP on the field today, said he feels good. "Very happy" elbow is pain free, optimistic he can return soon.
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) May 30, 2014