Report: Carmelo Anthony reconsidering opt-out this summer, says Phil Jackson
Carmelo Anthony is reconsidering his decision to opt out of his contract and test free agency this summer following a conversation he had with Knicks President of Basketball Operations Phil Jackson on Friday, according to a report from Ian Begley of ESPNewYork.com.
Anthony, who turned 30 on Thursday, had previously said he plans to opt out of the final year of his deal, which would pay him $23.5 million next season. Jackson said in the report that he's "definitely concerned" New York's franchise small forward may bolt for another team.
The Bulls and Lakers have been mentioned in media reports as possible destinations for the former scoring champ. Jackson said Anthony told him on Friday that he would "think about it" and reconsider testing free agency in the summer of 2015 instead of this July. The hefty contracts of Amare Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler and Andrea Bargnani expire next year, freeing up approximately $50 million in cap space for the Knicks to possibly pursue the likes of Timberwolves forward Kevin Love or another star.
If Anthony remains with the Knicks, he would be positioned to sign a a five-year contract worth approximately $129 million. With another team, the most he could sign for would be $95.8 million over four years.