Cooper staying put, says FC Dallas
Just 48 hours ago, it seemed like a done deal. FC Dallas striker Kenny Cooper appeared on his way to Championship side Cardiff City. There was a reported $4 million offer agreed to with MLS. On Sunday night, he scored two goals in the Hoops' 4-0 win over the Los Angeles Galaxy, and he lingered a good 15 minutes on the field shaking hands and praying on the field.
But on Tuesday afternoon, Dallas General Manager Michael Hitchcock issued a statement declaring that any and all transfer deals for the 11-goal scorer were off.
"We received offers from multiple international clubs during this transfer window," the statement read, "but we elected to decline them all. The international interest is a credit to Kenny, FC Dallas and the ever increasing talent level in Major League Soccer."
In the last month or so, the 23-year-old Cooper was linked first with Norwegian side Rosenborg and then more recently with Cardiff. A former Manchester United reserve player, Cooper preferred to stay in Dallas, but he wanted to redo his contract. The negotiations appeared to break down a week ago, and Cardiff looked the more likely destination.
But now, Cooper will remain with the club, which is currently in sixth place in the Western Conference. It is not known at this time if Cooper has renegotiated a new deal with MLS and Dallas.
"Winning championships is our priority," Hitchcock said. "We feel strongly that Kenny will continue to be an important part of our success as we compete for the MLS Cup this year and in the future."
Despite the rhetoric of the statement, odds are that the team could be interested in selling Cooper in the winter transfer window. If his scoring continues on his current pace, his price tag will surely go up past the $4 million mark.