Roberto Martinez's Wigan won the 2013 FA Cup but was relegated from the Premier League days later.
/AP

WIGAN, England (AP) -- Roberto Martinez asked to leave Wigan on Tuesday after being given permission to speak to Everton about filling its managerial vacancy.

Although Martinez delivered Wigan's first major trophy earlier this month - the FA Cup - the team was relegated from the Premier League days later.

And the 39-year-old Spaniard is now seeking a new challenge after four years at Wigan, according to chairman Dave Whelan.

Everton has been searching for a new manager since David Moyes left to replace Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

"Roberto wants to move on,'' Whelan said. "We will let him go but he's on a 12-month rolling contract so if he moves someone will have to buy him out of his final year.

"Everton rang me and I said they have permission to talk to him.''

Everton is yet to comment on an approach to Martinez, who spent six years as a player at Wigan before returning as manager in 2009 after two years at Swansea.

Despite Wigan fighting against relegation each season - a battle lost this month - the team has earned plaudits for its stylish football.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.