Daily Bagel: Sharapova, Nadal show off new U.S. Open styles
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Nike has released the U.S. Open fashions for Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Grigor Dimitrov and Victoria Azarenka.
• Video: Top five hot shots from the Rogers Cup in Toronto:
• There's a new WAG on the block, and her name is Pauline.
• The NCAA announced last week that it's moving to a no-ad format in college singles tennis. Bad idea, as Colette Lewis explains:
It goes without saying that the student-athletes most affected by this change were not consulted, because they do not have a seat on the ITA's operating committees, nor on the NCAA's Division I Tennis Committee. I was told that a survey of players at the ITA men's Indoor in February revealed 80 percent of the singles participants and 85 percent of the doubles participants were against no-ad scoring. Ohio State's Ty Tucker, whose team won its first national team title at the Indoor with the format, is not a proponent of it, despite that success, and the obvious advantage it gives a team with a big-serving, indoor-type game.
My question on no-ad to the top amateur junior boys at Kalamazoo produced a range of responses, from vehemently against to mildly against, but I fear the format change will provide a reason for top juniors to avoid college, even when so many positives remain. I spoke to several parents of top juniors last week and they too are dismayed by the decision, sharing my position that the standard tennis advantage format is superior to what one parent referred to as "this watered-down thing."
• Why Jo-Wilfried Tsonga probably won't win the U.S. Open.
• WTA Backspin offers a great wrap-up of all the action from the Rogers Cup.
• The Changeover has a nice summer of qualifying weekend in Cincinnati, which has turned into a huge success for the Western and Southern Open. Nearly 13,000 fans were on the grounds on Saturday -- for qualifying! -- which constituted a sell-out. Great energy here.
• Here is an Instagram of Patrick Mouratoglou and Serena Williams's dog, Chip:
• Tennis.com illustrates Serena Williams' injury record via the game of Operation.
• Who wears the most Nike swooshes? Tennis fares pretty well here.