Daily Bagel: Kvitova withdraws from Indian Wells, others recieve wildcards
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Worrisome: No. 4 Petra Kvitova has withdrawn from Indian Wells citing exhaustion.
• Wildcard news from Indian Wells: Juan Martin del Potro takes a wildcard into the main draw. That's some positive news. Also receiving main draw wildcards:Tim Smyczek, Ryan Harrison, Denis Kudla, Austin Krajicek, Nicole Gibbs, Taylor Townsend, Grace Min, Louisa Chirico, Sachia Vickery, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, and Donna Vekic. Qualifying Wildcards granted to Mackenzie McDonald, Taylor Fritz, Julia Boserup, Maria Sanchez, Tornado Black, Allie Kiick, Hsieh Su-Wei and Yannick Hanfmann.
• Wildcard news from the Miami Open: Main draw men: Andrey Rubley, Hyeon Chung, Ryan Harrison and Kyle Edmund. Qualifying wildcards: Gianluigi Quinzi, Omar Jasika, Michael Mmoh, Taro Daniele and Elias Ymer. Main draw women: Cici Bellis, Indy Devroome, Nicole Vaidisova, Sorana Cirstea, Natalya Vikhlyantseva, Paula Badosa. Qualifying wildcards: Laura Robson Oceane Dodin, Fanny Stollar, Ipek Soylu, Arantxa Rus, Sachia Vickery.
• Kamakshi Tandon for ESPN on the ITF's new restrictive nationality rule, which has a major impact on Davis Cup, Fed Cup, and the Olympics.
• From Tennis.com's 50th Anniversary series: When 16-year-old Chris Evert became a star.
• Beautiful gallery of slowed-down tennis photos over at Slate.
• More discussion on the dearth of tennis analytics.
• Interesting thoughts from Andrea Petkovic here: The best umpires shouldn't be on center court, they should be on the outside courts where there is no Hawkeye.
• Report: A match-fixing investigation is underway in Denmark, once again involving low-level Futures tournaments.
• When the defending champions aren't even interested in defending, is Davis Cup broken?
• This just about sums up the WTA coaching carousel so far: