Jones allegedly punched a Florida man, who is now dead, early Sunday morning in New York.

By Jenna West
August 09, 2018

Wake Forest has placed assistant basketball coach Jamill Jones on leave Friday, one day after he pleaded not guilty to assault charges.

Jones was arraigned on a misdemeanor assault charge and released on his own recognizance Thursday, after police say he threw a punch that killed a Queens tourist.

Wake Forest released a statement on Friday, announcing that they placed Jones on leave.

"Wake Forest Athletics Director Ron Wellman has placed assistant men's basketball coach Jamill Jones on leave.

"Wellman spoke with Jones today and he agreed that the decision is appropriate at this time given the circumstances.

"Wake Forset University expresses heartfelt condolences to Sandor Szabo's friends and family following his tragic death."

The assistant coach punched Sandor Szabo in the face at 1:15 a.m. ET last Sunday morning in Queens. Szabo fell, hit his head on the pavement and lost consciousness, according to a police report obtained by Sports Illustrated. Police say Szabo banged on the window of Jones' car while looking for the his ride after his stepsister's wedding.

Jones got out of his car, followed Szabo to the sidewalk, hit him and sped off, according to the police.

Szabo, a 35-year-old man from Boca Raton, Fla., was in town for his stepsister's wedding. He died on Tuesday, police confirmed.

Jones, from Kernersville, North Carolina, turned himself into the police earlier on Thursday. His attorney, Alain Massena, released a statement later the same day.

"The court made the proper ruling with the charges, and the District Attorney's office made the proper ruling with the charges," the statement read, per The Denver Post.

"We're going to say one thing and that's all. The Jones family sends their deepest condolences and sympathies to the Szabo family. We won't be making any further comments."

Jones joined the coaching staff at Wake Forst in May 2017. He was previously an assistant coach at UCF, VCU and Florida Golf Coast University.

On Friday morning, Szabo's parents appeared on NBC's Today.

"He [Sazbo] was trying to get an Uber and his cell phone died and so he just tapped on the wrong guy's door," Szabo's mother, Donna Kent, said.

"I'm sorry your condolences are a little bit too late," she later added.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

You May Like

Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)