Kenya's Edna Kiplagat and American Jordan Hasay finishing second and third, respectively, in the women's event, while Lelisa Desisa finished second in the men's race, just ahead of Kenneth Kipkemoi.
In the men's competition, Cherono beat Desisa by two seconds in a photo finish.
Here's what the finish looked like.
More than 30,000 people were expected to run from Hopkinton to Boylston Street this year. Rain and heavy rain came down in Boston about from late Sunday night and into Monday morning but the race forecast turned for the best with clear skies.
Last year, Des Linden became the first American woman to win the race in 33 years after contemplating dropping out of the race, assisting her Olympic teammate who took a 15-second bathroom stop and then breaking away at the 22-mile mark. Japan’s Yuki Kawauchi entered with a 2:08:14 personal best had broadcasters thinking he was crazy for his aggressive start to the race. However, Kawauchi reeled back and caught Kenya’s Geoffrey Kirui with about a mile to go to win in 2:15:54—the slowest winning time since 1976.
You can watch the race on television on CBS Local and NBC Sports Network. The race will also be live streamed on CBS Boston and NBC Live Extra.
This post will be updated with live updates on the elite men's and women's race from Boston.
MEN'S TOP 10
1. Lawrence Cherono, KEN – 2:07:57
2. Lelisa Desisa, ETH – 2:07:59
3. Kenneth Kipkemoi, KEN – 2:08:07
4. Felix Kandie, KEN – 2:08:54
5. Geoffrey Kirui, KEN – 2:08:55
6. Philemon Rono, KEN – 2:08:57
7. Scott Fauble, USA – 2:09:09
8. Jared Ward, USA – 2:09:25
9. Festus Talam, KEN – 2:09:25
10. Benson Kipruto, KEN – 2:09:53
WOMEN'S TOP 10
1. Worknesh Degefa, ETH – 2:23:31
2. Edna Kiplagat, KEN – 2:24:13
3. Jordan Hasay, USA – 2:25:20
4. Meskerem Assefa, ETH – 2:25:40
5. Desiree Linden, USA – 2:27:00
6. Caroline Rotich, KEN – 2:28:27
7. Mary Ngugi, KEN – 2:28:33
8. Biruktayit Eshetu, ETH – 2:29:10
9. Lindsay Flanagan, USA – 2:30:07
10. Betsy Saina, KEN – 2:30:07
Here's how this year's race is unfolding, in chronological order.
Live Tracking Information:A live leaderboard is available on the BAA official website. If you know someone running the Boston Marathon and are interested in tracking an athlete, you can download the Boston Marathon mobile app, which is available in the App Store or Google Play store. AT&T has also set up tracking by texting the athlete's bib number to 234567.