Traina Thoughts: Unacceptable! Ric Flair, "Woo" chant, disrespected by MLB writer
The best of the Internet, plus musings by SI.com writer, Jimmy Traina.
1. It was a busy weekend in sports, with the Kentucky Derby, John Daly (of all people) winning a golf tournament and the Mets rocked by sex toys and a suspension, We want to address something you may have missed during the early part of the weekend. We cannot sit by and not comment on a disgusting display of disrespect leveled toward an icon.
It all started when Fort Worth Star-Telegram writer Stefan Stevenson got fed up with Astros fans in the stands constantly doing the Ric Flair "Woo!" chant (which, coincidentally, came in at No. 3 on SI.com's ranking of the 50 Best Wrestling Catchphrases of All Time). The fans like to serenade right fielder Josh Reddick with the "Woo" because he is a huge wrestling fan. Stevenson apparently doesn't like fun because he wrote a piece that started with, "Let's get the most important thing out of the way first. The 'Woo!' is lame, especially at a baseball game." This is blasphemous statement No. 1.
Stevenson then made a plea on Twitter that the "Woo!" needs to stop. This blasphemous statement No. 2.
This didn't go unnoticed by the Nature Boy, though. Flair weighed in and put Stevenson in his place.
Stevenson, though, continued to not show the proper respect to the wrestling legend and committed his third blasphemous act.
Oh, thanks so much, Stefan, for letting us know wrestling is scripted. We had no idea. Thank goodness we have the fun police to make sure people know wrestling is fake and to tell paying customers how to cheer at a sacred sporting event.
Of course, all Stevenson did now was ensure that the "Woo" chant will dominate Minute Maid Park strong than ever. Reddick is not backing down.
And Houston's most popular athlete is throwing his support behind the "Woo" movement.
2. Like we said at the top, this was a wild weekend in sports. ESPN was right on the pulse, covering the big event you couldn't get enough of.
3. The NBA playoffs were so boring this weekend that the best moment came during the Warriors postgame press conference Saturday when Steph Curry and Kevin Durant were impressed by a reporter using the word, "kerfuffle."
4. We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but the expected NBA Finals matchup will see Golden State as a big favorite over Cleveland.
If it's Warriors vs. Cavaliers in the NBA Finals, 5Dimes has the series price at:— Jimmy Traina (@JimmyTraina) May 8, 2017
5. But bet against the red-hot LeBron James at your own risk.
6. Former Phillies outfielder, Jayson Werth, went deep against his old team yesterday, which prompted boos from the Philadelphia crowd and mock boos from Nationals teammate, Max Scherzer.
7. You have to be pretty creative to get a laugh out of a 28-3 joke these days since it's been beaten into the ground. This graduate came through.
8. Since American Pie is one of my all-time favorite movies, I'll be happy to put in a good word for Jason Biggs.
9. THE DAILY ROCK: The talented Rock once defended himself against allegations that he ran over Stone Cold Steve Austin in several languages.