Sweet 16 -- Last Will and Testament
You know those "Last Will and Testament" things they do in high school yearbooks? Before the unsweet 48 went home, they got together and bequeathed a bunch of helpful stuff to the 16 remaining teams. This is their official statement:
• To West Virginia, we leave
• To Memphis guard
• To Xavier, we leave
• To the Davidson Wildcats, we leave a vial of
• To Michigan State, we leave a stern rebuke.
• To Stanford, we leave a photo of
• To Western Kentucky coach
• To Washington State, we leave the title of "Best in the Pac-10." On Saturday the Cougars beat Notre Dame like they were playing the Fighting Irish football team. And you know how UCLA beat Mississippi Valley State, 70-29? Washington State beat MVSU earlier this year, 71-26. The transitive property says the Cougars are better.
• To North Carolina, we leave a time machine so they may go back to Friday or Sunday and practice playing real defense. Louisville or UCLA won't let UNC run on them like that. And when the Tar Heels need their defense, the defensive intensity won't be there.
• To Louisville, we leave the ability to stay focused while Tennessee spends the week in the spotlight. They must not be distracted by the antics of
• To Wisconsin, we leave an apology. It turns out the Big 10 is not a conference for little girls. Michigan Sate and Purdue are good teams. Even Ohio State is still alive in the NIT.
• To the Texas Longhorns, we leave the phone numbers of all the girls who ever came between the Lopez brothers. Do with them what you please.
• To Kansas, we leave a tape of North Carolina's win over Arkansas. The Jayhawks shouldn't look ahead ... but it might not be a bad idea to watch a little UNC.
• To UCLA, we leave a half-court offense. Against Mississippi Valley State the Bruins shot only 47 percent from the field (some credit goes to MVSU). The other three No. 1 seeds combined to shoot 55 percent in the first round and 57 percent in the second round. UCLA knows how to play defense, but at some point they'll need to score.
• To Tennessee, we leave the SEC's pride. There's not much left of it.
• To Villanova, we leave an NIT bracket. Just to remind them how far they've come. Syracuse is still kicking themselves for not winning that Big East Tournament game.