IRVING, Texas -- Musings, observations and the occasional insight as the NFL draft weekend winds down ...
• Quarterbacks make this league go round, and you have to think that most of the passers taken in the 2008 NFL draft landed in spots that are well-suited to give them chances to get on the field fairly quickly.
There were 60 quarterbacks who started for the NFL's 32 teams last season. In order of how I see them impacting their team's quarterback depth charts this season, here's how I break down the Class of '08 QBs so far:
• Let me get this straight: the Lions traded two picks to Miami to select Central Florida running back
The Lions cut injury-prone veteran running back
But seriously, not a bad recovery by the Lions after passing on Illinois running back
• San Diego really must have a conviction about LSU fullback/running back
I'm going to give Chargers general manager
• The Bengals didn't wind up landing
But they finally got some defensive tackle help in the middle of Sunday's third round, when they took Auburn's
That said, I think it's written into the league's bylaws at this point that Cincinnati's defense must struggle against the run.
• The Cardinals and Bengals are teams with receiver issues, and their names are
That's why Arizona and Cincinnati were smart to give themselves receiving options in the third round, with the Cardinals taking LSU's
The Cardinals and Bengals have said repeatedly that they won't trade Boldin and Johnson, but they're in a better position to consider making those deals today than they were yesterday.
• Notre Dame safety
Zbikowski, who is also a boxer in his spare time, is going to fit right in with the mindset in Baltimore.
• After taking a complementary running back in the first round in Arkansas's
Besides being wonderfully named for this particular event -- You think maybe someone in the Cowboys draft room said "draft choice'' and
With the Cowboys acknowledging that they don't see Felix Jones handling the full-time rushing load, it's Choice who legitimately will be Barber's backup. Jones will be a situational back, or a change of pace back.
Choice has a little confidence about him. In his conference call with Cowboys beat writers on Sunday, he informed them that he's going to "surprise some people'' and make teams pay for "sleeping on'' him in the draft.
• I'm not the only one thinking this, but Green Bay drafting Brohm in the second round is a move that pretty clearly tells
Green Bay to Favre: "Thanks, Brett. We're good. Enjoy your retirement. Please.''
• Kind of cool that the Texans saw fit to take
• Only the Raiders. Oakland finally admitted the mistake it made when it traded up in 2005's first round to take Nebraska cornerback
What did Oakland do with that pick? They took Richmond receiver
• Here's an amazing draft-related statistic: If Dallas does indeed get
South Florida cornerback
Yeah, the pressure is definitely on
• It seems like half the teams in the NFL this offseason are trying to duplicate the vaunted pass rush that helped the Giants win the Super Bowl. The Jets went for pass rush with
The Jaguars made a bold and costly move from 26th to 8th in the first round to get Florida defensive end
The Vikings were so desperate for more pass pressure that they pulled the trigger on the risky
• This just in, courtesy of the Eagles' crack public relations staff: The proper pronunciation for Philly's third-round pick, Wisconsin cornerback
That's kind of what I thought.