Daily Briefing, Aug. 14
At 6:30 p.m. in Beijing on Thursday night, following an afternoon that featured about as much rain as Noah experienced, the Olympic medal count between China and the United States was tied at 32. (China now holds a 35-34 lead). Of course, if you're judging by gold medals won, China is pounding the Stars and Stripes 22-10. Good news, America:
• At the Water Cube, Phelps duels with
• Fresh off her surprise silver medal in the 100-meter breaststroke,
• Only three U.S. women have medaled in the Olympic all-around in gymnastics --
• Here's one thing I think I think about
• China diver
• Oh, Canada I: The U.S.-Canada softball game was halted in the top of the fourth inning on Thursday by weather. Play is scheduled to resume Friday, 30 minutes after completion of the U.S.' game against Japan scheduled at midnight. Canada leads the U.S., 1-0, though U.S. pitchers have yet to allow a hit in this tournament.
• Oh, Canada, II: The U.S. Olympic women's soccer team will face Canada in a quarterfinal match at Shanghai Stadium. The game kicks off at 6 a.m.
•The U.S. women's volleyball team (coached by former China national team star
• The U.S. Women's table tennis team is the second seed in bronze medal bracket (play begins at 9 a.m.) at PKU Gymnasium.
• In the evening session in swimming, which begins at 6:30 a.m. ET Friday,
• The U.S. women's basketball team, which dusted Mali by 97-41, won't have it as easy against Spain (8 a.m.).
• The men's shot put is the first final (9 a.m.) of athletics competition. World champion
• The U.S. and Jamaica have run the year's 34 fastest times in the 4x100 relay. The competition begins Friday with the U.S. running its opening heat at 8:32 a.m.
•The women's heptathlon gets underway at 9:32 a.m..
• Finally, American record-holder
"It was a clash of heads, but it's not important. We are here to overcome all the difficulties. Pain is temporary, glory is eternal."
"If I went any faster, I probably would have to be drug tested."
• SI's Dick Friedman says that while beach volleyballers