Daily briefing, Aug. 22
The Redeem Team isn't the only basketball juggernaut in Beijing: The U.S. women have won 32 consecutive Olympic games and will be a heavy favorite in Saturday's gold-medal final (10 a.m. ET) against Australia (7-0), the team they defeated in the finals in both Sydney and Athens. Prior to dispatching Russia 67-52 in the semifinals, the U.S. had won its first six games by an average of 43 points.
"The U.S. and Australia know each other very well," says
• Defending champion Argentina meets Nigeria in the men's soccer gold medal game (midnight). Led by international stars
• Cuba plays Korea in the gold-medal game in baseball (6 a.m. ). That's after Japan plays the U.S. for the bronze medal (10:30 p.m.).
• Ethiopia-born Swiss resident
• In one of the emerging stories of the final week of the Olympics, the U.S. women's volleyball team meets Brazil in the gold medal match (8 a.m.). U.S. star
•The 5,000 final (8:10 a.m.) has a loaded field:
• A big one for the home country: China's
• The Americans dropped the baton in both 4x100 relays. Perhaps redemption will come in the women's 4x400 relay final (8:40 a.m.) and men's 4x400 final (9:05 a.m.). This is the last race on the track and field program at the Games.
• Gold medals will also be awarded in men's (3 a.m.) and women's cross-country mountain cycling (10 p.m. ET on Friday). Americans
"This is my way of doing my business and, I think in doing so, I just did the Korean team a favor."