The Dean's List
• According to Google, the definition of "messiah" is "any expected deliverer." That's appropriate for Messiah College, which delivered its second straight double-overtime victory on Sunday to advance to the D-III NCAA men's soccer Final Four. The Falcons not only beat Christopher Newport 2-1, they did it in dramatic fashion. Trailing 1-0 and playing two men down, Messiah scored with exactly one minute remaining in regulation to send the game to overtime. Then, in the second overtime,
• The big winner in Lubbock, TX, on Thursday night was Offense. I capitalize for effect. Texas Tech hoops beat the East Central Tigers 167-115 in the Legends Classic, scoring 90 points in the second half alone. And it wasn't just a few players putting up big numbers. Texas Tech had ten players score in double figures, while six East Central players notched double-digit point totals. The scoring was so balanced that no player on either team scored over 19 points. Of course, opposing teams putting up gaudy numbers has become a disconcerting pattern for East Central. Two days after the Texas Tech game, the Tigers allowed Texas-San Antonio to set six school records in a 136-68 route. Safe to say, even East Central's defense is offensive.
• Field Hockey seems to be all about repetition. On Sunday, Maryland rallied from two goals down to beat Wake Forest 4-2 and win its third NCAA field hockey national championship in four years. That very same afternoon, Bowdoin topped Tufts 3-2 in double overtime and claimed its second-consecutive NCAA Division III field hockey national championship. Parity seems to be currently lacking in college field hockey, creative mascots are not. The Maryland Terrapins and Bowdoin Polar Bears are easily the best mascot-combo to have won NCAA national championships in the same sport since the Wake Forest Demon Deacons and Salisbury Seagulls did it back in 2004.
• Buffalo doesn't win easily. The Bulls scored 20 points in the fourth quarter on Saturday to send their game against Bowling Green into the first of two overtimes. And, as has been the case all season long, Buffalo prevailed in the end, winning 40-34 and capturing its first MAC East championship and a guaranteed bowl bid. The latest victory is one of many near escapes for
• It can't be easy being
• Say it ain't so, Joe! Penn State head coach
• No one tells
• All dorm rooms might look the same, but they're not. You have your room and other students have their rooms and you can't just go get drunk and wander into someone else's room. Former Miami of Ohio football player