The Mets are probably going to need to trade for a first baseman (more on that below). But in the meantime, few scouts can understand why
He's supposedly the "heir apparent" to Delgado at first base (at least that's what several team honchos decided this winter/spring), and he's allegedly in the first base rotation. Yet, Murphy has exactly zero starts at first so far.
One scout said, "What's confusing is that Murphy's easily the best hitter of the bunch ... to not have him in the games on a regular basis, well, I don't get it."
What's more, Murphy, a third baseman in the minors, is currently killing them in the outfield. So why the heck not?
Another scout predicted, "He'd be at least as good as Tatis. And Delgado ... he'll be as good as Delgado [defensively] at first."
Of course, scouts can take a longer-range look at things than managers (
Eventually, with Delgado out 10 weeks by the Mets' estimation (and that may be optimistic), everyone understands that the best move may be to find a first baseman in trade. And as far as that goes, here are the looming options, in order of likelihood:
In the meantime, the Mets say they will employ the rotation that allegedly includes Murphy, the fair-haired boy turned forgotten man. "Murphy is going to hit left-handers," one scout insists. "I don't get why they don't give him an opportunity."
Frankly, neither do I.
Here's an extensive list of players who could hit the trading block this summer ...
• Arizona's out-of-the-box managerial pick of
• The Brewers suffered a blow when vastly improving infielder
• The callup of prospect
• The Dodgers briefly tried to lock up
• MLB talked to umpire
• Jerry Manuel calling
• I don't care about his strikeout-to-walk ratio (32-to-20), the Braves' young
• The otherwise feisty, scrappy, heady Twins are psyched out at Yankee Stadium (three wins in their last 26 games at YS, new and old). There I said it.
• As the days go by, I am more impressed by the Blue Jays.
• Speaking of which, my bad that I omitted
• I don't care what anyone says.
• On the other hand, it's like
• Rare cinema advice: I'd just ignore Oakland's record while watching