Our topic this week is hype and
But even Bo did not have a Web site quite like "
A few of our favorite facts collected there:
• Sliced bread is actually the best thing since Matt Wieters. (ESPN's
• Matt Wieters beat cancer ... literally, with his bat. There is no more cancer. (fathead5f)
• Matt Wieters sometimes impatiently homers from the on-deck circle. (Larrytt)
• Matt Wieters is the reason I comes before E except after C. (Bob)
And so on. Wieters was generally viewed as the best every day player coming out of the 2007 draft (with similarly hyped
Time will tell on all that. But for now it's fun to have a wildly hyped young player come to the big leagues. Hype and rookies have been a part of baseball for a long, long time.
* * *
Mantle, you might remember, decided to stick it out with baseball.
Same era, I remember reading somewhere about a card dealer who bought like 5,000 rookie cards for
1) The legitimate excitement about a player that builds on his skills and his potential.