Daily briefing, Feb. 22
VANCOUVER, British Columbia --
That's how the
• Austria is a big favorite in the team ski jump competition (1 p.m.), especially with Switzerland's double-gold medalist
• Germany, Italy and Sweden are the teams to watch in the cross-country Ladies Team Sprint. (1:45 p.m.). Sweden's
• Now it gets interesting in the women's hockey tournament:
The United States meets Sweden (3 p.m.) in the first of two semifinals. Four years ago, the Swedes knocked the Americans out of the Olympics in a penalty shootout, but they are unlikely to see a repeat of that upset. The United States has outscored its competition, 31-1 in this tournament and Canada pounded the Swedes 13-1 earlier this week.
Canada has never lost to Finland in Olympic play and tonight (face-off at 8) should be much of the same. The Canadians are led by the tournament's top scorer
• In one of the more memorable stories from the Turin Games, American freestyle aerials men's competitor
• Italy, Russia and Germany are the favorites the men's cross-country free team sprint (4:25 p.m.), but watch out for Norway with
• The United States meets Canada and China in men's curling competition (early matches start at noon; evening matches begin at 10 p.m.). Based on its round-robin record, the U.S. (2-5) will not advance to the medal round.