Thanks to the Astros' longtime pitching star
It's no surprise that much of the public discourse to this point involves Oswalt, who told the Astros that he would like to be traded if Houston can find an acceptable spot for him. Oswalt is far from the only star who could get dealt this summer, but he has certainly garnered the most attention and speculation so far.
While it's logical that Oswalt should go (possibly along with longtime teammate
The first hurdle is McLane, who seems more interested in selling his whole team than any of his prized stars. "In the past he's had no appetite to trade the big stars or any interest in rebuilding,'' said one person familiar with the Astros' situation. "It's going to be a matter of how effective [his executives] are at educating him on where the club is."
Houston, which currently holds a 16-31 record, has made some miracle comebacks before. The Astros began the 2005 season at 15-30 before turning it around and making it to the World Series. It is the ball club's recent history of comebacks that discourages McLane from starting a rebuilding process that would obviously be painful to him. Of course, back in '05, the Astros had
Here's a list of possible trade candidates ...
• The Red Sox look like a threat again. And
• One scout also said
• The unstated reason why
• Despite the White Sox's unexpected early struggles and some small rumor of change in the manager's office, one person familiar with that team's setup said, "
• Ozzie probably deserves a fine from MLB, though, after going quite a bit too far in his expletive-laced tirade against umpire Cowboy
• The Reds have homered in 16 straight games through Thursday, the longest such streak in the majors.
• While it's a bit of an embarrassment, the Rangers had no choice but to file for bankruptcy. It was the only result that made sense with no end in sight in the negotiations and the lending company (Monarch Alternative Capital) unwilling to forgive any of Hicks' extraordinary debt. Now a bankruptcy court judge will decide. MLB seems hopeful there could be a resolution that will move the team to prospective buyer