•Call it an Aggie Dynasty in the works. For the second straight year, both the men's and women's track and field teams from Texas A&M won team titles at the NCAA championships. Last weekend in Eugene, the men amassed 55 points, edging Florida by one, and the women scored 72, easily outdistancing the host Ducks who were second with 57.
Yet several of the top individual performances came from athletes at other schools who doubled in various events.
On the men's side,
• Saturday marked a superb running day in New York, with the New York Mini 10K race for women in Central Park in the morning and the Adidas Grand Prix on Randall's Island in the afternoon.
For starters, Kenya's
The Adidas meet lost some of its steam when neither
In the women's 200, Jamaica's double Olympic gold medalist
• Word from South Africa is that
• Chinese beach volleyball players enjoyed a historic weekend in Moscow, as
On the women's side,
• Apparently, the family that lifts together wins together. Husband and wife
Casey would have competed at the 2008 Games but for a quirk in the tabulation of international results. The U.S. team was due to earn the final spot in his weight class, but after a Bulgarian lifter was banned for doping, those results were recalculated. A lifter from Taiwan, known as
• Skater selections were released over the weekend for the ISU's six-event Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series that begins in Nagoya, Japan Oct. 22-24, and includes one domestic stop, Skate America in Portland Nov. 11-14.
For the U.S., Olympic ice dancing silver medalists
Men's national champ
For the ladies,
• USA Gymnastics announced on Monday that the 2012 Olympic Trials will be held at the HP Pavilion in San Jose from June 28 to July 1. The previous sites for the trials were Philadelphia (2008), Anaheim (2004), Boston (1996 and 2000) and Baltimore (1992). It marks the first time the Olympic gymnastics trials will be staged in San Jose.