And now, let's look back at the sports year of 2012!
No! I mean 2012. We live in the era of the 24-7 news cycle. We can't wait for events to actually
Besides, as you surely recall, 2012 was an INCREDIBLE sports year. It reminded me most of the 1999 sports year, though there are obvious parallels to the 2016 sports year as well. Let's look back at 2012.
• 2005: The Indianapolis Colts started the year 13-0, and generated more undefeated-season talk than any team in years. They lost their first playoff game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, who started the season 7-5.
• 2006: The San Diego Chargers finished 14-2, and the Baltimore Ravens went 13-3, to earn the top two seeds in the AFC. They both lost their first playoff games.
• 2007: The New England Patriots finished the regular season 16-0 but lost the Super Bowl to the New York Giants, who started the season 7-4.
• 2008: The Giants started the season 11-1 but lost their first playoff game to the Philadelphia Eagles, who started the season 5-5-1. The Tennessee Titans started the season 10-0 but lost their first playoff game to the Ravens, who started the season 6-4.
• 2009: The Colts started the season 14-0 but lost in the Super Bowl to the Saints. (Of course, the Saints started the season 13-0, and somebody had to lose that Super Bowl, so maybe this isn't a fair example.)
• 2010: The Patriots (14-2) and Falcons (13-3) finished with the best records in the NFL and lost in the first round.
Conclusion: It is extremely difficult to dominate an NFL season from start to finish.
In a joint press conference, Manning and Irsay announce they will part ways. This leads to ...
... with ...
... with ...
Hint: J-E ...
Yes, the Jets. Manning realizes he has all the money he needs, so he takes a below-market deal to play for the Jets. Meanwhile, the Jets finally realize that Mark Sanchez's dating ability far exceeds his playing ability. This is their chance to upstage the two teams that bug them the most: the Giants, who suddenly find themselves with the less famous Manning brother, and the Patriots. Yup: Rex Ryan gets Peyton Manning for his matchups against Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.
In the wake of Calipari's triumph, the media spend almost an entire day questioning whether any sports should ever be played again, and indeed, whether the earth should even continue to exist, right up until ...