The Miami Heat will not pursue a possible move for Rockets star guard James Harden, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.
Miami had cursory talks about a potential deal, according to ESPN, but discussions reportedly never progressed on the Rockets' side due to Miami's limited draft assets. The Heat can only offer their 2027 first-round pick in a possible trade.
The 76ers, Nets and Bucks have been other rumored potential clubs that Harden would like to be traded to. ESPN reported on Monday that the Rockets have also talked with Denver about a possible trade.
ESPN reported last week that Houston has recently talked to the Nets and Sixers—the two preferred destinations for a Harden trade.
While The Athletic reported on Dec. 17, that Philadelphia was open to dealing two-time All-Star Ben Simmons in exchange for Harden, Daryl Morey, the 76ers' president of basketball operations, said publicly that the team is not trading Simmons.
"He is an important part of our future," Morey told The Athletic.
Harden, 31, has two years remaining on his contract, plus a player option for the 2022–23 season. The former MVP won the NBA scoring title for the third straight year last season, averaging 34.3 points, 7.5 assists and 6.6 rebounds per game.
Check out the latest news and notes from around the NBA:
- Markelle Fultz has agreed to a three-year extension with the Orlando Magic. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)
- The Clippers have reached an agreement on a four-year extension with Luke Kennard, worth up to $64 million. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)
- The Nets and center Jarrett Allen will not agree to a contract extension and Allen will instead be a restricted free agent this offseason. (Chris Haynes, Yahoo Sports)
- The Pelicans and point guard Lonzo Ball will not reach an agreement on a contract extension before Monday's deadline. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)
- Jonathan Isaac and the Magic have agreed to a four-year extension, worth $80 million. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)
- There will not be extension agreement between the Bulls and forward Lauri Markkanen. (Shams Charania, The Athletic)
- Toronto Raptors forward O.G. Anunoby has agreed to a four-year, $72 million extension. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)
- San Antonio Spurs guard Derrick White has agreed to a four-year, $73M extension. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)
- The Atlanta Hawks and forward John Collins will not agree to a contract extension agreement ahead of Monday's deadline. (Shams Charania, The Athletic)
- The Phoenix Suns have claimed F/C Frank Kaminsky off free agency waivers. (Shams Charania, The Athletic)