With the first wave of NFL free agency having finished up more than two weeks ago, three former No. 1 picks from various NFL drafts remain unsigned. One of them, former Texans and Seahawks DE Jadeveon Clowney, is altering his asking price, according to ESPN's Dianna Russini.
Per ESPN, Clowney's camp has moved its asking price off of a $20-plus million number to one in the $17-18 million range per season, in hopes of sparking more interest. According to Russini, the Titans and Seahawks are both "interested" in the three-time Pro Bowler.
On a conference call Wednesday, Titans GM Jon Robinson told reporters that he's had discussions with Clowney, but “nothing is imminent.”
"There's nothing more important than the health of a player. Definitely an important part of the decision," Robinson reportedly said.
Analysis from Corbin Smith of SeahawkMaven: This entire situation has been bizarre. Clowney and his camp went into this process believing he would receive at least $20 million per year, but with the COVID-19 crisis restricting travel and preventing on-site physicals with team doctors among other factors, he didn't get anywhere close to what he believed he would. Now that we're in the third week of free agency and he's considered his options on short-term deals for far less money; he looks ready to settle for a bit less money on a long-term deal. This could open the door for the Seahawks to re-sign him and backload some of his cap to later years on a four-year agreement, but it also could pave the way for a team like the Titans to be able to steal him as well.
The 2019 AFC runner-ups have also been in contact with the agent for free agent CB Logan Ryan, but no deal is imminent on that from either, according to the team's GM.
Keep up with the latest news and rumors around the NFL:
- Broncos RB Phillip Lindsay appears intent on competing for the starting running back job in Denver despite the team bringing in Melvin Gordon in free agency. "When camp comes around, it's going to be a battle," he told 9News' Mike Klis. "...My mindset is to play out my contact." (Mike Klis, 9News)
- Dolphins punter Matt Haack has signed his restricted free agent tender, the team announced Wednesday.
- As a way to create more cap space in 2020, the Raiders have converted $11.6 million of center Rodney Hudson's base salary into a fully guaranteed roster bonus, while adding two void years to his deal. (Field Yates, ESPN)
- Bengals owner Mike Brown took part in the team's NFL combine meeting with LSU QB Joe Burrow. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- The Browns are signing former Falcons defensive end Adrian Clayborn on a two-year deal worth $6 million. (Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com)
- The Texans are signing defensive tackle Tim Jernigan to a one-year worth up to $3.75 million. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- The Patriots are releasing backup QB Cody Kessler, leaving just Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- The Raiders are signing former Packers and Browns safety Damarious Randall to a one-year deal. (Josina Anderson, ESPN)