Jack Warner responds to John Oliver's message on Trinidadian TV
Former CONCACAF president Jack Warner has issued a response to the television advertisement comedian John Oliver paid to air in Trinidad & Tobago.
On Tuesday, Oliver appeared in a four-and-a-half-minute segment on Trinidad's TV6 urging Warner to release as much incriminating evidence against FIFA as possible, as Warner had previously threatened to do in another TV6 ad.
“The point is, Mr. Warner, do not [unclear] the entire planet by promising spectacular FIFA regulations and not delivering,” the British comedian said. “I am begging you, release everything, because, here's my argument: why the hell not? It's not like you're already potentially in a lot of trouble. Seriously, I've been looking through the indictment, and good luck with that.”
On Thursday, Warner issued a response to Oliver's video.
“It is really incomprehensible how a local TV station, a national TV station, could allow a foreigner, most of all an American foreigner, to come into this country to embarrass its citizens,” Warner said.
Warner was one of the 14 FIFA officials and business partners named in the U.S. Justice Department's indictment. The indictment alleges he accepted a $10 million bribe from the South African government to vote for the country's 2010 World Cup bid, along with reportedly accepting $1 million to vote for Morocco's bid that year. He is also reportedly accused of taking funds designated for Haitian earthquake relief and using it for personal expenses.
- Dan Gartland