MLS: De Rosario's hat trick lifts D.C. United past Real Salt Lake

Publish date:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Dwayne De Rosario scored the quickest hat trick in MLS history, leading D.C. United to a 4-1 victory over Real Salt Lake on Saturday night.

De Rosario, who also became the first D.C. player to get multiple regular-season hat tricks, scored on a header in the 22nd minute, then got his second in the 27th and converted a free kick in the 31st.

He also set up the first goal for United (9-8-11), sending a perfect diagonal pass to Andy Najar, who scored in the 13th minute. DC extended its home unbeaten streak to four matches (2-0-2).

Alvaro Saborio scored in the 86th minute for Real Salt Lake (15-8-6), who allowed the quickest first four goals in club history while failing to extend a five-game win streak.

Salt Lake had not let in four goals in a match this season.

De Rosario, who has scored 10 of his 13 goals since D.C. acquired him in a trade with New York in late June, also scored a hat trick on Aug. 6 in a 3-3 home draw against Toronto.

Abdul Thompson Conteh previously held the club's record for quickest hat trick, scoring his third of four goals in the 44th minute of a 5-0 victory over New England on May 9, 2001.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Fredy Montero scored two goals in a four-minute span to lead Seattle to a victory over Vancouver.

Brad Evans also scored as Seattle (15-6-9) clinched a playoff spot and won the Cascadia Cup title - a competition between northwest teams Vancouver, Portland and the Sounders.

Camilo Sanvezzo scored for the Whitecaps (4-15-10), who were officially eliminated from postseason contention. The match was Vancouver's last one at Empire Field before moving to Bell Pitch at the newly renovated BC Place.

Camilo opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, beating Seattle goalkeeper Kasey Keller to the bottom left corner for his ninth goal of the season.

Evans tied it in the 33rd on a penalty kick after Vancouver's Jay DeMerit committed a hand-ball violation while attempting to block a shot by Alvaro Fernandez with goalkeeper Joe Cannon out of position.

Montero intercepted a clearing attempt and his quick, left-footed volley found the top left corner in the 63rd to give Seattle a 2-1 lead. Four minutes later, he took a pass from Evans and fired a right foot shot to the top right corner, over the outstretched fingers of Cannon, to make it 3-1.

Keller was the busier goalkeeper early on. Camilo fed the ball down low to Mustapha Jarju in the 12th minute but he sent wide his shot wide.

Keller made one more tough stop in the 72nd off Salinas at the right side of the net, maintaining the two-goal cushion.

CARSON, Calif. -- Juan Pablo Angel scored twice as Chivas USA defeated Toronto FC.

Justin Braun also scored for Chivas (8-12-11), who moved four points behind New York for the final playoff spot.

Angel put Chivas up in the 12th minute and Braun made it 2-0 in the 71st. Angel then sealed the win with his second score in the 77th minute.

Angel has now scored five goals in three games and six since moving to Chivas USA from the LA Galaxy on Aug. 17th.

FRISCO, Texas -- Geoff Cameron scored in the 87th minute to lift Houston to a win over FC Dallas.

Houston (10-9-12) won on the road for the first time this season with a record of 1-6-9.

FC Dallas was shut out for the third straight MLS game and is 13-10-7 on the season.

Cameron scored on a header from outside the left side of the goalie's box, Brad Davis assisted on the score with a cross coming off a corner kick. Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall finished with four saves to earn his fifth shutout of the season.

FC Dallas' Andrew Jacobson had a goal disallowed in the 42nd after George John was called for interfering with the goalkeeper on the shot.

FC Dallas held a 19-to-11 advantage in total shots. Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman finished with three saves.

FC Dallas' Jackson Goncalves came close to scoring twice within a five-minute span in the second half.

In the 75th minute, Jackson escaped on a breakaway but pulled his shot from 20 yards wide left of the net.

In the 72nd minute, Jackson sent a right-footed shot from outside the top corner that hit the right post.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Chad Barrett scored in the third minute of stoppage time as Los Angeles defeated Columbus to extend its unbeaten streak to six games while the Crew remained winless in five.

Landon Donovan, a second-half substitute, took a flighted ball from Omar Gonzalez on the right side of the penalty area and fired a hard shot that William Hesmer saved. Barrett, who entered in the 84th minute, got the rebound for a putback from the left side.

Earlier, Josh Saunders had made three key saves in the final six minutes to give the Western Conference-leading Galaxy (17-3-10) 16 shutouts, one shy of the league mark. They are 5-0-1 in six game.

The Crew (11-11-8) are 0-4-1 in the past five and trail Eastern Conference leader Houston by a point.

HARRISON, N.J. -- Dane Richards scored in the first half and Luke Rodgers converted a penalty kick in the second half to lead New York to a crucial victory over the Portland.

The Red Bulls (8-7-15) pulled into a tie for fourth place with Houston in the Eastern Conference with four matches to go. It was the first home win for New York since beating Toronto 5-0 on July 6.

Portland (10-13-7) dropped two points behind New York in the race for a wild card playoff berth. The loss snapped the Timbers' five-game unbeaten streak (3-0-2). However, Portland has not had any success on the road, falling to 1-9-4 away from home.

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- Drew Moor scored in the 71st minute to lift Colorado to a draw with San Jose.

San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch stopped a shot by Jeff Larentowicz and the rebound came right to Moor, who sent the ball back into the net.

Colorado (10-9-12) ended a three-game losing streak and extended its winless streak to 0-3-2. The Rapids have been held to four goals in that stretch.

Chris Wondolowski scored in the 19th minute for San Jose (6-11-13), which is 0-1-2 over its last three and 0-5-4 in the last nine road games. The Earthquakes began the day six points out of 10th overall and the final playoff spot.

San Jose played without Sam Cronin, who missed the game with a yellow card accumulation.

Colorado won the first meeting, 2-1, on Aug. 13 in San Jose.

The Rapids put together two scoring chances early without results.

Jamie Smith couldn't get the ball past a wall in the 13th minute. Kosuke Kimura had a wide open look from inside the box in the 17th minute, but his shot was easily grabbed by Busch.

The play led to the game's first goal on a mistake by goalkeeper Matt Pickens.

Pickens tried to undercut a shot by Khari Stephenson. Instead he sent the ball to Wondolowski, who beat Pickens from 20 yards out in the 19th minute.

The Earthquakes could have had a two-goal lead at halftime, but Wondolowski couldn't get the ball past Pickens in the 36th minute.

Colorado defender Marvell Wynne denied another goal, knocking down a shot by Simon Dawkins after a turnover deep inside the Rapids' end in added time of the first half.

San Jose maintained offensive pressure as Pickens steered aside a shot from the slot by Dawkins in the 60th minute.

A moment later Stephenson barely missed the right post after picking up a loose ball near midfield.

The Rapids took control in the last 21 minutes. Busch caught Moor's header in the 70th minute, and Colorado stayed on the offensive. Moor cashed in, with the game-tying goal.