Across Europe, a number of teams are looking to upgrade during this January's transfer window. Several clubs have already upgraded, with Arsenal signing Mohamed Elneny from Basel, Liverpool signing Marko Grujic from Red Star Belgrade and Newcastle buying Jonjo Shelvey from Swansea City. Will other clubs across Europe seek to bolster their squads to make a run at a league title or the Champions League? Which clubs are planning to sell?
With Deadline Day looming, catch up on all of the latest transfer news and rumors here.
• Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer told a German newspaper that Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski could be a possible candidate for Real Madrid.
• Manchester United goalkeeper Victor Valdes has apparently been transferred to a new club after posting a thank you message to United fans on Twitter on Thursday. Reports have linked Valdes to Standard Liege.
• Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino would be interested in bringing back Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale, reports ESPN FC. Bale played for Tottenham for six seasons before signing with Real in 2013. Football Leaks recently released documents allegedly showing that Tottenham would have the first chance to bid on Bale if other Premier League clubs attempt to sign him.
• West Brom striker Saido Berahino is coveted by Tottenham, Newcastle, Chelsea and Stoke City, according to Sky Sports. Berahino reportedly wants to join Newcastle, but the club fears West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace may block any deal, according toThe Daily Mail.
• Swansea reportedly inquired about Liverpool midfielder Joe Allen, but the club has informed Swansea that Allen will not be made available for transfer, according to Sky Sports.
• Is Manchester United youngster Andreas Pereira hoping for a loan away from Old Trafford? The 20–year–old Brazilian has made only seven first-team appearances this season, and he told Brazil periodical GloboEsporte that he would be open to a temporary new home if it meant more playing time. “I’m a United player, [but] I’ve seen in the press that there are various other clubs interested,” Pereira said, according to The Daily Mail. “I don’t know if United want to loan me out but I’m working hard to get more opportunities. It’s their decision.”
• Manchester United might also be interested in the services of PSG forward Edinson Cavani, ESPN reports. It’s not the first time United has been rumored to be interested in the Uruguayan striker.
• Lionel Messi isn’t going anywhere. The Barcelona forward reiterated his desire to remain with his club for the rest of his career.
• Chelsea is attempting to sign striker Alexandre Pato from Corinthians, The Guardianreports. The Telegraph is reporting that Chelsea and Pato have agreed to terms, but that the clubs are still working out a deal.
• Leicester striker Andrej Kramaric will join Hoffenheim on loan until the end of the season.
• Steven Naismith signed with Norwich City from Everton on a three-and-a-half-year deal.