Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez has delivered an injury update on a number of his side's key figures ahead of the visit to Manchester United next weekend, with a number of concerns ahead of the trip in 11 days' time.
Quoted by the Shields Gazette, the Magpies boss stated the club will assess defender Jamaal Lascelles after his skipper was forced off with an ankle injury just before the hour mark, in Newcastle's 1-0 loss at St. James' Park to struggling Bournemouth this past weekend.
Benitez said: “Jamaal, will have his ankle (assessed)."
23-year-old Lascelles confirmed the injury on twitter, but the former Derby County man was hopeful the problem is not too serious after leaving the ground on crutches and with his left foot in a protective brace, having been a linchpin for the Toon in the heart of defence so far this term.
Disappointing result today.. gutted I had to come off the pitch, scan Monday so hopefully not too bad... thanks for the support— Jamaal Lascelles (@Lascelles16) November 4, 2017
His was not the only injury blow Newcastle suffered. On-loan Chelsea winger Christian Atsu was also brought off during the game versus the Cherries, on which Benitez stated it was too soon to tell if their was any damage to the Ghanaian.
"With Atsu, he felt something, but it’s too early to tell", the Spaniard said.
There was also bad news regarding midfielder Mikel Merino, who scored the winner versus Crystal Palace at home last month, but has since picked up a back injury in training.
Benitez now believes he could miss the next month of action. “We have to start treatment. It depends how he responds to the treatment."
With the international break now in full swing, there was better news for defender Paul Dummett who has not played since August with a hamstring injury. The 26-year-old could be set to return when domestic affairs resume a week on Saturday.