WATCH: Phil Foden's Brace Helps Manchester City Beat Stubborn Newport, Reach FA Cup Quarters

Manchester City is onto the FA Cup quarterfinals after grinding out a win over Newport. 
Publish date:

Manchester City broke through Newport's stubborn defense in the second half to beat the fourth-tier side 4-1 in the FA Cup on Saturday, although the result wasn't as straightforward as the scoreline suggested.

Newport's hopes of an epic fifth-round upset were still intact when Padraig Amond pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 in the 88th minute. But Phil Foden replied instantly with his second goal of the game and Riyad Mahrez added an injury-time score, allowing City to advance to the quarterfinals to keep Pep Guardiola's side in the hunt for a possible four trophies.

Brighton and Millwall also advanced. Brighton beat second-tier Derby 2-1 while Championship side Millwall overcame AFC Wimbledon 1-0.

City's visit to South Wales had only one realistic outcome, but the win wasn't quite as simple as most expected.

City entered the game as the overwhelming favorite—especially after beating Chelsea 6-0 last weekend in the Premier League—but struggled to impose its usual attacking game on a pitch that contained more mud than grass in many places.

''It was the worst conditions I have played in,'' Foden said. ''We had to show professionalism and keep the ball moving and they tired in the end.''

Newport, with an annual wage bill that's less than 1% of City's, managed to reach the halftime break still at 0-0, and even created the best chance of the opening 45 minutes. City goalkeeper Ederson had to produce a stellar one-handed save to keep Tyreeq Bakinson's header at bay in the 14th minute.

But Leroy Sane, who hit the crossbar in the first half, finally created the breakthrough for City in the 51st. Sane ran onto a pass from Gabriel Jesus and fired a left-foot shot that hit goalkeeper Joe Day square in the face before spinning through his arms and into the net. The strike left Day with a bloody nose, and left Newport's chances in tatters as well.

Foden doubled the lead in the 75th with a solo goal by Foden, after the teenager picked up the ball on the halfway line before charging forward and slotting a shot past Day.

Newport still managed to make it interesting when Amond seized on a defensive mistake to lob the ball over Emerson, but Foden quickly restored City's two-goal lead with a fierce left-foot shot into the net from inside the area. Mahrez added the fourth from the left side of the box in injury time, creating a scoreline that flattered the visitors.

''The first 20 minutes were difficult from throw-ins and long balls, and they are much better than us in those situations, but in the last 20 minutes we put the game into our hands,'' Guardiola said. ''The home crowd was amazing. Winning here, I (understand) English football today better than ever and how tough the cup is in these conditions.''